St. Johnsville is a town in Montgomery County. Accounts vary as to the naming of St. Johnsville, but most accounts state that the town and its village are named after an early surveyor and commissioner, Alexander St. John. Still others credit the naming of St. Johnsville to a former name for the area, St. John’s Church. The Town of St. Johnsville is in the northwest part of the county. The town contains a village, also called St. Johnsville. Both town and village are about halfway between Utica and Amsterdam. The Erie Canal, as part of the Mohawk River, is at the town’s south border.
The town was first settled around 1725. The territory was part of the Palatine District. In 1769, Sir William Johnson built a church in the town for the benefit of his Indian allies. A brief skirmish was fought in the town in 1780 near Fort Klock, a fortified house. The Town of St. Johnsville was formed in 1838 from the Town of Oppenheim which then became part of the newly created Fulton County. In 1857, the community of St. Johnsville set itself off from the town by incorporating as a village.
According to the Enterprise and News, Nov. 17, 1937, by 1934, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph H. Reaney had given 120 acres of land to the Village of Saint Johnsville. This land was named Klock Park after Dr. Charles M. Klock, a highly regarded local physician. Today the H.C Smith Benefit Club utilizes the building to host many community events.
Beardslee Castle is a three-story castle in Little Falls, New York. It constructed in 1860 as a replica of an Irish castle, and currently used as a restaurant. The manor has been rebuilt twice, after having been burned down by fires in 1919 and 1989.
Beardslee Castle was the project of widowed Lavina (Pardee) Beardslee, began in her latter years around the late 1790s. Her son, Augustus Beardslee, is credited with the building of the Castle, though it was Lavina’s grandson, Capt. Guy Roosevelt Beardslee (who was born in the mansion), that oversaw the completion of the project circa 1860. Capt. Beardslee undertook a business project obtaining electricity and a generator with a distribution system beginning a small local hydro-power plant. This small company succeeded into the Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation.