Cayuga and Tompkins Counties
Groton is a town in Tompkins County. The name is taken from Groton, Massachusetts. The Town of Groton contains a village, also called Groton. The town is in the northeast corner of the county and is northeast of Ithaca. As well as a village, the Town of Groton also includes a former school, Groton High School, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994 Groton was in the former Central New York Military Tract.
The town was formed in 1817, before the formation of Tompkins County, from the Town of Locke (in Cayuga County) as the “Town of Division.” Many of the early residents from New England elected to change the name to “Groton.” In 1888, the community of Groton separated from the town by incorporating as a village. Groton was also home to the original Corona Typewriter Company which later merged to form Smith Corona.
Cayuga is a village in Cayuga County. The village derives its name from the indigenous Cayuga people and the lake named after them. The village of Cayuga is in the western part of the town of Aurelius. The Sullivan Expedition of 1779 passed through the town. The village was incorporated in 1857, and re-incorporated in 1874. The Hutchinson Homestead was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.
Trumansburg is a village in Tompkins County. The name is a misspelling of the surname of the founder, Abner Treman. (The family routinely spelled it several different ways, Truman however was not one.) The village’s application for a post office preserved one of them. The Village of Trumansburg is located within the Town of Ulysses and is northwest of Ithaca. The village was incorporated in 1872, in the former Central New York Military Tract. The village was originally named “Tremaine’s Village”, after an early settler, Abner Tremaine (Tremain, Treman), who was granted the land for his service in the American revolutionary War. The village was built around a cascade on the creek that provided power for grain mills.
In the 19th century Trumansburg was dominated by Col. Hermon Camp, an officer in the War of 1812 who settled in what was to become the village. For many years he was the local postmaster, and founded a bank, now the Tompkins Trust Company, the largest bank in the county. His imposing and elegant Greek Revival style house remains the largest in the village. The Hermon Camp House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
In the latter half of the 20th century, as the quality of the road between Trumansburg and Ithaca improved and “country living” became more fashionable, the village became home to many faculty and staff at nearby Cornell University and Ithaca College, as well as many musicians. Between 1961-70, Robert Moog built electronic music equipment including Theremins and his famous synthesizers in a downtown storefront.